Welcome to DogZone India: Let's Discuss Dogs!
All About Dogs in India: Discussion forums, dog photos, dog videos, blogs, classifieds and much more!

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Dog Food Brand Compare?

Discussion in 'Dog Health, Nutrition, Food & Grooming' started by TGgt, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Offline

TGgt New Member

Message Count:
    I think we need to have a thread about dog food brands. Let us compare notes about positive and negative things about the dog food we use.

I will start with Royal Canin. I give it to my labrador and he is very happy with it. Though sometimes he does not want to eat it. Maybe because he gets fed up of eating the same thing everyday. hehe

I buy a 15Kg Maxi Adult pack and it lasts about 1 month. I give it twice a day.
  2. Offline

chomakala New Member

Message Count:
    Is the product Pedigree dog food any good..? Need review please!
  3. Offline

abilash New Member

Message Count:
    pedigree is possibly the worst dog food available..i mean the standard pedigree,,but the pedigree professional(black&yellow pack) is better..you should try DROOLS,,its way better and the main ingredient is chicken..best for your dog ll be royal canin,eukanuba,bento kronen,etc.
    Yuki and Gaurav like this.
  4. Offline

deepika sharma New Member

Message Count:
    I agree with abilash drools is best for your dog!!! My dog drools over drools.Highly rich in nutrition.RC and drools both are excellent.
  5. Offline

blackcatsrock New Member

Message Count:
    I don't know what your dog food budget is and how hard different foods are to find. Drool is acceptable food, however, some dogs will have trouble with the corn and soy that are part of this food. If you can find and afford either of them, Taste of the Wild, or Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul have better sources of nutrition.

I'm sure if you start reading the labels you can find other good foods too. Look for foods which have meat (like chicken, lamb, or fish) as the first ingredient. Try to avoid foods that have much grain - especially corn and soy which can cause skin or digestion or other problems for some dogs. Better fillers than corn and soy are brewers rice, potato, vegetables, and fruit.

Hope you find something healthy and affordable!
  6. Offline

leena New Member

Message Count:
    My dogs love the wet food by Pedigree. The gravy chunks. Is it quiet healthy?
  7. Offline

Saurabh Umadikar Active Member

Message Count:
    we cant say that any of the dog food is worst or best >>>>>but it depends on the breed!!!!!!!!not on the company..for eg.PEDIGREE IS THE GOOD FOOD FOR THE GOLDEN RETRIEVERS ,ROYAL CANIN FOR GSDs,EUKANIUBA FOR SAINT BERNARDS...etc
    DOG EXPERT likes this.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    also it depends on the money the rates gets higher from pedigree,royal canin,eukanuba etc.
    DOG EXPERT likes this.
  9. Offline

Yuki Senior Member

Message Count:
    Pedigree isnt good for golden retrievers. most GR owners in the world feed Eukanuba, TOTW etc. please do some proper research.
  10. Offline

Gautam Active Member

Message Count:
    I have been feeding Pedigree Professional to my 10 month old Lab ever since I got him and am satisfied with it. His coat is nice and shiny and according to the vet he is growing into a healthy dog (touch wood... :) )
    Although I have been thinking about moving to Royal Canin for a while now, but since Danny seems to enjoy Pedigree anyways, haven't moved.
    I feed him 3 times daily out of which twice is the kibble and once is homemade food like brown rice with chicken or meat, veggies, eggs, etc... So a 10 kg pack of Pedigree Professional Puppy Large Breed lasts about a month.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    good gautam
    DOG EXPERT likes this.
  12. Offline

epetclubindia New Member

Message Count:
    i have a pet shop and here there are only these dog food brands plz tell me which one is better !!
  13. Offline

Chaitanya New Member

Message Count:
    Hi. Let me introduce myself first. My name is Chaitanya and i own a pet shop and pet grooming parlour in Goa. Well according to me, the best and the most reliable dog food available in the market is RC. Excellent quality ( very little fillers) but quite expensive. But then again, most of the customers opt for less expensive food.

In the lesser expensive dog food category, DROOLS leads the pack with best ingredient quality and very little fillers. Drools is also priced very economically. Next in the category is NUTRIPET (far better quality than before) followed by Pedigree ( total waste of a food). Pedigree regular food and pedigree professional as both inferior foods with the first ingredient being CEREAL AND CEREAL BYPRODUCTS!

There are lots of other good foods available like EUKANUBA, SABOR VIDA, MERA DOG, VENKYS BEST IN SHOW Etc but fail due to lack of supply and availability especially in Goa market.

I hope my review is helpful.
  14. Offline

Yuki Senior Member

Message Count:
    thats a good review. really helpful.

Eukanuba has less fillers too. i have read the label but it contains corn/maize :/
  15. Offline

Chaitanya New Member

Message Count:
    Eukanuba is on par with RC. Just that, we don't get supply here :D
  16. Offline

Chaitanya New Member

Message Count:
    One of the best food as of what i know is MERADOG. Highly underrated. It is considered the best by top breeders. Especially their baby dog milk 'Meramin' . But again very expensive!
    Gaurav likes this.
  17. Offline

Gautam Active Member

Message Count:
    I had been promoting Pedigree Professional all the while and honestly I still feel its good food having fed it to both my dogs. However all of you made me skeptical and I have moved to Hills Science Plan now. Surely expensive but I guess that extra money will be worth it so no regrets.
    Gaurav likes this.
  18. Offline

Chaitanya New Member

Message Count:
    Pedigree Professional = Pedigree regular food + 27 Vital nutrients.

Would i feed pedigree regular food to my dog? ( Considering i have a pet shop and lot of wastage). Nope wont feed! 27 Vital nutrients i can get from Pet n Tab.

Hills is much better. Go for it!
    Yuki likes this.
  19. Offline

surya New Member

Message Count:
    I have two labrador puppies, gave pedigree in the beginning, it was not good. later as per vet's suggestion changed to Eukanuba. Its good but costly. Now i am trying to check Drools. I think there is not much difference in quality as foreign brands charge more, we may feel its good. Will post my experience soon on Drools. i am going to try Drools Starter. will move to chicken and rice flavor after couple of months.
    Yuki and Gaurav like this.
  20. Offline

Chaitanya New Member

Message Count:
    Hi surya, well drools has given fantastic results. My customers are really happy. Go for the (L) puppy 12kg bag. It has more than 30% chicken as the first ingredient.
    Gaurav likes this.
  21. Offline

Yuki Senior Member

Message Count:
    i have just now switched my pup from eukanuba to drools.

PS: the label says corn corn oil and corn gluten meal....i dont think thats good.
  22. Offline

Chaitanya New Member

Message Count:
    Unfortunately yeah. But it is better quality wise than all other foods in that price bracket! And i don't think corn gluten has any side effects as such. My GR seems to relish her drools and there is visible changes in weight.
  23. Offline

Yuki Senior Member

Message Count:
    i have a Golden Retriever. i have noticed that he is farting a lot more than usual after the new addition of drools.

never had this problem with RC or Eukanuba :(
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    THANKS SIR FOR THIS WONDERFUL INFORMATIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  25. Offline

Chaitanya New Member

Message Count:
    Did you follow the seven day conversion as mentioned behind the packet?

Day 1 - 90% Euk & 10% Drools
    Day 2 - 80% Euk & 20% Drools
    Day 3 - 70% Euk & 30% Drools
    Day 4 - 60% Euk & 40% Drools
    Day 5 - 40% Euk & 60% Drools
    Day 6 - 20% Euk & 80% Drools
    Day 7 - 100% Drools

This schedule should get your GR accustomed to the new food :)
    surya and Saurabh Umadikar like this.