Welcome to DogZone India: Let's Discuss Dogs!
All About Dogs in India: Discussion forums, dog photos, dog videos, blogs, classifieds and much more!

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Jumping On People

Discussion in 'Dog Training & Behaviour' started by Yuki, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Offline

Yuki Senior Member

Message Count:
    I need some help to train my golden retriever pup not to jump on people.

this is what happens everyday:

I come out of my room and Yuki (my pup) greets me with wagging tail and comes close to me, nuzzling with his head held in low position. I pet him and say "goodmorning" he gives me a "woof" and licking.....everything is fine till this point.
    Next he runs off like an express train or jet and jumps on everybody present in home wagging his tail. letting everyone know I have woken up. This is causing trouble at home.
    As I said everytime he sees me instead of greeting me or jumping on me he runs off and jumps on others.

Is there any way to make him stop doing this? I do recall him back to me but he only comes back for a second or two. he runs off again doing the same thing. If i go back into my room he becomes quiet and behaves really well. no jumping on others. So, I need some help.
  2. Offline

PoochMatters Active Member

Message Count:
    suggest you see a couple of videos of Ceaser Millan on You Tube. He trains people to make dogs behave the way they want. Its not you, not your dog but the people he jumps on who have to know some techniques to desist him from jumping at them. I swear by Ceasar Millan !! He is God's gift to humans and animals !!
  3. Offline

Yuki Senior Member

Message Count:
    I have been teaching my mom and dad about what to do when he jumps but they have 0% interest in learning about dogs. :( that's where the problem lies. instead of learning they want me to tether my baby outside which i refuse to do.
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Aww....... thats sad!
  5. Offline

Yuki Senior Member

Message Count:
    could you link me to one of the videos? i will look up more videos from that point on. i need to train Yuki not to jump on people he nearly knocked my mom off her feet today! he weighs 26 kgs and is 22.5 inches tall. its not easy to "catch" him when he jumps on us.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
  7. Offline

Yuki Senior Member

Message Count:
  8. Offline

Yuki Senior Member

Message Count:
    since no one in my home is trying to help train yuki, i came with an alternative plan. i recall him to me and give him a treat if he stays with me instead of jumping on others. i tried it today and its working. so far so good. :(
  9. Offline

Gautam Active Member

Message Count:
    Yuki.. I think that's a good idea. I have been trying that with Danny for a couple of weeks now and its been working well. In fact now, when the doorbell rings, I have managed to train him to stay at a distance and not move till I release him since some of the guests are a little scared of dogs.